Sunday 4 December 2011

Evaluation - 2) How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?


I feel that all three of my products work very well together. Firstly, I used the same location for my filming and photographs, meaning I kept to the themes and plot of my film. If I had taken, for example, my photo for my poster in a field, it wouldn't fit with my teaser trailer because the idea is they're trapped in a building. I also made sure I used the same actress for the photo on my magazine again keeping a consistent plot. I liked how my filming and both my photos appealed to the horror genre. The aim for my teaser trailer was for it to be frightening, mostly obvious through the screams at the end. My photo for my poster is also meant to be one of the creatures reaching around the corner, again appealing to the horror genre. In my magazine cover photo I wanted it to look like she was getting dragged away and the blood on her hand is also appealing to the genre. In order to make all my photos and filming look like they were from the same thing, I also thought about the plot of my film in my film treatment and how I could make sure this was obvious in my images. In my teaser trailer something is chasing them, so In my poster I wanted to give a small part away that this was the hand of the creature. I think if my audience watched the teaser trailer and saw the poster, they would find this disturbing as this creature is obviously dangerous. My image for my magazine cover also leads on from the plot. I took this photo in the corridor used in the last shot of my teaser trailer, so this shot is supposed to be after the camera cuts out, again showing another small part of the plot which will encourage the audience to watch the film. My two images and my filming works well because they all give little parts of the plot, the characters running and they get attacked by something, the strange hand of the thing that attacked them, and what happened after the camera cuts out, making us wonder what the thing is to be able to drag her away. I tired to keep the theme of found footage genre throughout my three products. In my trailer I used handheld camera, fuzzing effects, speaking from behind the camera and so on. I then also tried to suggests this by using TV interference lines across the image in order to suggest "found footage" filming. I feel that these techniques all worked well to suggest the genre but I don't feel I did it as well in my magazine, apart from the caption under the cover line heading "The New Blair Witch?" which should immediately make people think of found footage style horror. An improvement I would have made to keep the same in my teaser trailer to my poster would be to keep the type face the same of the titles in the film and text on the poster. I feel this would have made them work better together as it would be keeping a consistent house style. I feel I also could have added some slight fuzzing to RUN to fit in with the style of the titles in the teaser trailer. My poster and teaser trailer had the strongest links because they are directly related, where as my magazine is related to other things as well as RUN. The obvious strong links in my poster to my teaser trailer are how I have repeated my titles from my teaser trailer on my poster to act as my tag lines. I feel this worked really well as statistics create the effect of realism for found footage genre and it also keeps a consistent theme throughout my main product and this particular ancillary text. I also included the same website and institutional references in my teaser trailer to my poster again keeping strong links between them and therefore making them seem more like real products. The links between my magazine cover with my poster and teaser trailer aren't as strong apart from the image and the name of the film being mentioned again. I feel I should have written more about the film on the cover line in order to give stronger links and intrigue the audience. The colours scheme in my poster and magazine cover are practically the same, so it means they work really well together. I feel the colour scheme of red and white really works well for my poster and also my magazine but it also acts as a link and house style between them. If my audience were to see my main product and ancillary texts together, I think they would definitely recognise they are about the same film as think they work well together, especially the poster and teaser trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment