Thursday 9 June 2011

Further Research - Handheld Camera Technique

For my teaser trailer, I have decided to go with my idea of having a hand held camera in order to create realism. I have done some research in to this technique and found this blog particulary helpful http://the-film-obsession.blogspot.com/2010/09/surge-of-handheld-camera-technique.html. It seems that the handheld camera technique became popular after the blair witch project was released. The technique is intended to give a sense of realism therefore making everything that happens more exciting and putting the audience in to moment. It suggests a documentary or home-filmed video, meaning there is only one camera that the audience can see from. This suggests the unexpected as there is no other camera angles or shots to makes the audience predict what will happen next, therefore increasing panic and fear. As the film-obsession blog states "There are no longer receiving an establishing shot, enabling them to come to terms with their surroundings; they’re right in the point of view of the person in question". Some examples of these kinds of films are Cloverfield, Paranormal Activity, Quarantine/Rec, The Blair Witch Project and The Last Exorcism. I have chosen to film my teaser trailer in this way because I think it allows me to create a lot of shock in the small amount of time I have within the trailer. I like how it puts the audience straight in the story and because the technique stands out compared to other techniques, I feel it will quickly drag the audience in.

No comments:

Post a Comment