Saturday 11 June 2011

Research in to Sountracks - Halloween

From my experience watching horror movies, music is always used to make the film more disturbing. The most common horror film music quite often is very low with strange echoing droning, piano or violin based or sounds like children's music. I have done some research in to film soundtracks and analysed what I think works and doesn't work for them.



I think this soundtrack works very well for building tensions and creating a scary atmosphere. It opens with the fast piano music which sound very strange and creates a sense of panic. A low droning then starts which starts to build even more tension. The sound it warning and ominous. The piano sound doesn't change speed but at about 45 seconds it suddenly gets lower which is building more and more tension. At about a minute the sound goes higher again and the piano music is on it's own. This sudden quietness is particularly scary. I can imagine someone running to this music, so it fits very well with the plot of the film. The only thing I don't like about this music is the ticking in the background, I think it would sound better without. However I don;t think this makes too much of a difference and does add percussion in a way. The soundtrack is also very repetitive which can get boring and take away from the effect, but if played in parts in the film it is very effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment